Wednesday, January 26, 2011

30 days: day fourteen

day fourteen – a picture of someone you could never imagine your life without

Me, Esther, and Dad
Checking out Doulos, 2009



Dad, Esther, and Mom

Well I guess quite practically I wouldn't be here without my dad (and my mom) haha. And on top of that, I wouldn't be able to imagine growing up without a dad as patient, supportive and trusting as my dad. In many ways, I'm a copy of him - for one, we start talking louder and paraphrasing things on tv even though the subtitles are there when we're excited hahaha. He is a macro-thinker and is very wise in dealing with tacky situations with people.

I didn't realize how super cool it was until last year that my dad was actually in daily contact with South Asian construction workers for a long time. He was considered quite an insider and he was respected and trusted, perhaps especially from some of few severe wounds he got from working overtime with them. He could have gone home since he just needed to oversee the workers, but he usually, if not always, chooses to stay back and work with the workers so that the job gets done faster and the workers could go home earlier. Now he doesn't work in the construction industry anymore - if he did, I don't know how his body could take the fierce sun and the intensely rigorous work he tolerated in his younger days.

Where do you get such noble men? Noble men who did extra work on a regular basis to help people that are conventionally seen as lowly foreigners? I have one at home, and I'm proud of my dad for being so :)

P.S.: Did you know that the MV Doulos (now MV Doulos Phos) was the world's oldest active passenger ship until December 31, 2009? Its sister ship was Titanic. People used to boast that "not even God could sink Titanic", and an engineer who helped repair Doulos on a daily basis (!!!) with his team is very convinced that only God could have kept her afloat.

And a few crew members have died during a bomb attack of the ship by a militant Muslim group. Scary world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment