Sunday, January 14, 2007

What Makes Me Happy

All that endless bus-riding to different places of Singapore without Geography or Economics notes has given me much time to reflect on random matters. One of these is the things that make me happy. I thought I might note it down so I can be reminded to be happy in the future.

I love the tweetering of birds at the window in the morning at seven. All that melodious chirping reminds me of those kids in Enid Blyton's books who live in beautiful secret forests. It reminds me that life goes on, and I should be happily free and simple like the birds. God will take care of us. He takes care of the sparrows that do not reap nor sow. Thus He would take even greater care of us, who are served and protected by His angels.

I love giving it all when I play sports. The feeling of heavy perspiration against my neck, arms and legs tells me I've played hard enough for the day. I feel untangled from the clasps of life's hustle and bustle, as if I can jump high enough to reach the sky! if I could. What's more, I get a good night's sleep. : )

I love playing well during violin practices when my teacher, Miss Quah, plays duet pieces with me. The music that resonates in my mind often leaves me laughing and skipping along the way home. I could have screamed in excitement if I wanted to! There's this feeling of having butterflies in your stomach and your heart skips a beat or a two.

I love lying down on the ground and looking at stars on a quiet night, with only the croaking of frogs and screeching of crickets looking for mates. The starriest sky that I have seen in Singapore was 3 years back, during the Youth Fellowship camp in Tengah BP. The stars remind me of God's inexplicably wonderful plan for Abraham. He showed Abraham the stars and promised to make him the Father of All Nations, with generations of children that are as many as the stars in the sky and the sand in the beach. Joy fills my heart because God has proven His faithfulness unto thousands of generations.

I love my bed, my blankie, my bolsters, my pillow and my 4-year old buddy, Xiao Bai, a white turned-greyish teddy dog. They are always there when I drift off to sleep either in tears or in smiles, making me feel safe. I am happy because I have a proper bed to sleep. Not everyone has the luxury of a bed, not even baby Jesus when He descended for me. I can't imagine sleeping in a manger! Hay-filled or otherwise, I would suppose that it stinks of animal food, not to mention the musky, mixed animal smells in the barn.

I am also happy when people whom I love shows reciprocral love for me. A simple pat on the back just to say goodbye or a passionate hug makes my heart equally happy. I have to agree with Morries from Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morries that humans enjoy human contact. This is synonymous with the social needs of needing each other when we are babies, half-wasted old folks, and even when we are healthy, independent teenagers and adults. Or, a text message of concern or gratitude makes my day too!

That's all I have thought of so far. I believe there are other things that make me happy, and I, with plenty of time whilst travelling, will ponder over them and not let my brain cells wither as fast. Haha. Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Sorry, I thought I told you about linking you but anyway, thanks for tagging! Nice blog, seeya around in church my love (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely entry, Daph. Hope life's been kind to you. Smile, God loves you!

    <3

    (Ms. Quah is super dee duper nice! Such a small world, I got to know you violin teacher!)

    ReplyDelete