Tuesday, January 2, 2007

My New Year Resolution

The New Year resolutions.

They are beneficial, right? They aid in giving us a general direction for the year. Over many years, we would have achieved many things, corrected many faults if we keep to our resolutions in a cumulative manner. I started believing in the efficacy of resolutions 3 years ago, and here's mine for the year 2007.

MY RESOLUTION FOR 2007
1. (CONFIDENTIAL)
2. HAVE QT DAILY.
3. LOVE MY ENEMIES.

If any snoopiness in you prompts you to want to find out my #1 clause is, let your hopes die. I have never told any human being on earth anything about it. Only God knows! Muahaha.

I recently realised that all that hanging out with the alumni choir, church and class people makes me drained of any energy or desire to have QT after I get home late at night. So, thank God, I see it as a warning, like a beacon that beckons me to stay away from rocky shores and treacherous shoals, for the year, should I continue to be distracted.

Having a daily quiet time with God for me would mean having an opening prayer, reading the Biblical passage allocated, lightly annotating my Bible and penning down my understanding of it in a notebook. Then I'd read the QT guidebook and write some more, before a closing prayer.

Through QT, I attain two things. Firstly, I gain knowledge of the Bible and wisdom from God, which is the 'theory' of my 'practical', the living of the Word. Secondly, I gain more peace and joy by being close to my Shepherd, having more of His protection, empathy and mercy at all times than before. And hopefully, I will give Him pleasure by being close to Him and be blessed with a 'yes' to my prayer.
Then, I want to live out what I learn in church and during QT, specifically by loving my enemies.

Applying to real life, the enemy is an euphemism for those unloveable by human nature, as I've shared before. I want to love my brother, even when he talks back at me, the less fortunate who beg or sell tissue for long hours, the uncles that smell of sweat and urine on the bus, churchmates who like to fan the fire and play politics, and colleagues who might bully me into doing more work because I'm a newcomer.

God give us strength to fulfill our resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment