Thursday, January 11, 2007

Simple Gifts

'Tis' the gift to be simple,
Tis' the gift to be free'
Simple Gifts (1848), Joseph Brackett, Jr

My first encounter with this song was during the college's open house day last year. The ACJC choir sang it and had it recorded as a number in her album, 'Little Things'. Simple Gifts is also a set piece for the Grade 2 violin practical examinations this year, but I chose an alternative that looked easier to play instead.

While I was having my quiet time with God today, I realised how God has been using me and blessing me with more gifts for His benefit and mine. To think of the gifts that I've been blessed with humbles my heart with joy and gratitude.

God has blessed me with the gift of music. He has given me a healthy body that can function as a soundbox for singing. He has blessed me with a voice that can touch people's hearts. I understand His purpose for making me one who can sing, which is to serve in the church choral ministry and sing to prepare the congregation for God's messages. The opportunity given to me to join the ACJC choir is greatly relished and thanked for, because I would not have improved in being a better servant if not for the training underwent and musicality attained. How wonderful it is! that while others can speak of God's glory, I can do likewise, but in a melodious way.

Speaking of music, God has also blessed me with the interest and ability to play the violin. While I'm still learning how to play it, I know that if I work hard, I can expand my musical abilities available for God's ministry. A plus point is that my hearing has become more acute and that helps in keeping musical consistencies in singing.

God has also blessed me with the gift of drawing. I profess that I'm not as good as those learned in Art, haha. Nonetheless, His gift has enabled me to help out in the Fellowship's and church choir's care ministry. I can also draw and colour etc to make little things to people that I love, to show them that I care and love them. One advantage that I have with this gift from God is that I can teach my classes through pictures, as some are totally not interested in English AND writing.
God has also blessed me with the gift of speech, that I may lead and encourage people with what God wants me to say.

He has also blessed me with the gift of health, which is something I am really thankful for. I can run, swim, jump, walk, play squash, sit down and sleep without pain, and without difficulties. God has shaped me, this vessel for His use. in way that I am durable and trustworthy for His use. The love for sports, especially running, helps keep me in good condition so God can use me more intensively.

The Holy Spirit endows every one with different gifts, 'as He will' (I Corinthians 12:11), meaning that our gifts are given to us as He prefers and likes. (Oh die! I just realised I have a Trojan in my computer. AHHH) God's mercy is again shown to us as He also blesses non-believers with His gifts for their pleasure.

These gifts are simple and the arrogant may smirk at them, but it is the simplicity of God's gifts that allows us to be free. We are free from worries and woes of competition for worldly achievements. We are free from the fear of the unexpected. We are free from the fear of death. This freedom reminds us that since we are free from the worldly struggles for fame, security and affluence, we can appreciate the essence of God's simple gifts. This appreciation will instinctively encompass reciprocration through letting God use the gifts for His benefit.

All of us are familiar with the Parable of the Talents. Let us all not be like the 'wicked and slothful' servant, who did not use the talents his master gave him for the latter's benefit. Our gifts are like the talents - God 'lends' us His gifts so we can give Him glory and praise through working for Him. When the Lord finds us faithful, He will reward us with the joy of being His children, and bless more gifts with us and use us more. (Just think of how a boss would promote an employee and give him more responsibilities while giving him a higher pay, haha.)

Thank God for His simple gifts. Let me quote from the parable to as an encouragement for us to reconginise our gifts and use them well.

'For unto everyone that hath shall be given,
and he shall have abundance:
but from him that hath not shall be taken away
even that which he hath.'
Matthew 25:29
God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, sorry for the squashed up entry. I suppose the computer is being affected because I played squash yesterday. Haha.

    ReplyDelete