Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Math of Our Bible

Have you felt there are many verses you know offhand, but sometimes you can't remember where they're quoted from? I have - it's a pretty bad habit for me because when I need to find these verses, I have to rely on identifying what colour the verse was highlighted in, which part of the left or right-hand page of the Bible it is in. Very tedious work, though worthy of it. Thank God for numbers! Magical.

I've collated the following according to number patterns.

Same quotation (number-wise):

The 3:5s
Ps 3:5
I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.

Prov 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and lean not on your own understanding;

John 3:5
"No one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born out of water and the Spirit."

I Tim 3:5
If anyone does not know how to manage his own family,
how can he take care of God's church?

Rev 3:5
He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white.
I will never blot out his name from the Book of Life,
but will acknowledge his name before my Father and His angels.

-----------------
The 3:16s

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish,
but have everlasting life. (AKJV)

I Cor 3:16
Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

Col 3:16
Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom,
and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your heart to God.

I Tim 3:16
He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

Rev 3:16
So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold-
I am about to spit you out of My mouth.

------

The 10:13s
Rom 10:13
Everyone who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved.

I Cor 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to Man:
but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able;
but will with the temptation also make a way to escape,
that ye may be able to bear it. (AKJV)

---------

And I suppose this is easy to remember: Feb 14 (Valentine's)

Lk 2:14
Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace, good will toward men. (AKJV)

II Cor 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ
and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him.

--------
The 6:11s

Eph 6:11
Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

I Tim 6:11
But you, man of God...pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

--------

Next, verses with identical numbers.

Rom 10:10
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified,
and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Heb 10:10
We have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ
once for all.

I Tim 6:6
Godliness with contentment is great gain.

-------

Lastly, a few verses that are second in their chapters.

Ps 26:2
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me;
try my reins and my heart. (AKJV)

Prov 21:2
All a man's ways seem right to him,
but the Lord weighs the heart.

Eccl 1:2
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher,
vanity of vanities; all is vanity. (AKJV)

Even though I got an A1 for elementary math and an eventual B3 for ao math, thank God the math in our Bible isnt hard to grasp. No integration, differentiation, permutation, approximation or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment