Tuesday, January 27, 2009

O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus

Today was the La Vita House's weekly dinner and Joanne taught LaShondra, Dean, Yeejoo and I how to sing the hymn O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
Vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean
In its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me,
Is the current of Your love
Leading onward, leading homeward
To Your glorious rest above!

O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
Spread His praise from shore to shore
How He loveth, ever loveth,
Changeth never, nevermore;
How He watches o’er His loved ones,
Died to call them all His own;
How for them He intercedeth,,
Watcheth o’er them from the throne.

O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
Love of ev’ry love the best:
‘Tis an ocean vast of blessing,
‘Tis a haven sweet of rest.
O the deep, deep love of Jesus!
‘Tis a heav’n of heav’ns to me;
And it lifts me up to glory,
For it lifts me up to Thee.

Then, we talked about the Eastern/Western religious divide, Obama, and eventually campus ministries and church. So it ended with Dean (the son) and Filly offering to take me to their church, Rincon Mountain Presbyterian Church (another good church in Tucson), for the rest of the semester if I do decide to go to that church.

So far, I have attended U of A's Christian Challenge, First Southern Baptist Church of Tucson and Christ Community Church Tucson (akin to Brooklyn Tabernacle Church for its heavy burden on Tucson, where only 6% are Christians and where most people are illiterate about Christ).

The only consistent fellowship I've been going to is the International Student Fellowship, where it's been a humbling and strange experience - because I see God not granting me my wish to gain even more knowledge on the Bible, but teaching me to practise my knowledge with His love and wisdom by putting me around equally vulnerable and lonely people, and by letting me observe how Christians here teach or talk about Christ; and strange because God is reversing the hopes I brought here to Tucson..wanting to be discipled turned to possibly spending time reading God's Word with non-believers instead, (in Jon Heine's words) helping to prepare the soil for sowing.

Also, I have been enrolled into the Tucson Memory System. I'm only on to my second out of thirty, forty over verses, but here is my favourite-r verse.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life that I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me, and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20

1 comment:

  1. I attended Tucson Chinese Baptist Church for quite a while. :)

    ReplyDelete