Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The realisation


Say Lin is an animal welfare and wildlife conservation advocate newly based in Vientiane Province, Laos. As a representative of a Singaporean NGO, ACRES, he is there to set up Laos’ first ever wildlife sanctuary for rescued, surrendered and confiscated animals. He hopes to learn the Lao language and visit as many places in the Indochina region as possible. Say Lin also enjoys cycling and one day hopes to tour Laos by bicycle.

            I haven’t always been passionate about protecting animals and the environment. In fact, even as recently as 2008, I was largely unaware of the many issues that animals and the environment face.

            This isn’t to say that I didn’t like animals. I did, only I wasn’t as informed as I am now. With hundreds of dogs in shelters, daily cases of dog abandonment and countless more being euthanized daily, I bought Buddy in 2008, a pure-bred Shetland Sheepdog, for SGD$1,500 from a local breeder. I love him dearly and do not regret my decision to buy him, but I probably wouldn’t have bought him if I knew of the aforementioned statistics, and the problem with puppy mills.

            2008 was the same year I witnessed an army platoon mate shoot at an innocent Javan Myna at the shooting range. I felt highly uncomfortable as I looked at the mangled mess amidst its feathers, but I did nothing.

            I was the usual child who loved watching Animal Planet and Discovery Channel, and enjoyed my visits to the zoo, circus or marine park. Despite being oblivious to the plight of wild animals in captivity back then, I had questions, many questions. I remember watching the Orcas at the San Diego Sea World and asking my father this: “Why are some of their dorsal fins upright, while others are bent or curled in an arc?”

My father didn’t know the answer, but his best guess was that this was genetically predetermined, just like how some of us have brown eyes while others have blue eyes. I learnt many years later that those bent dorsal fins were a phenomenon only seen in captive whales. Captive whales spend all their time swimming in circles, within tanks of still, sterile water, only a tiny fraction of space compared to their natural habitat. Their fins are bent due to muscle degeneration caused by the lack of use in a captive environment.

2008 was also the same year I joined the Singapore Night Safari as a Junior Trainer-Presenter at the Animal Shows Department. I believe this was when I begun a journey of realisation. Working with wild animals in cages on a weekly basis, beginning to know them as individuals and how their moods change, I gradually had more and more questions. The only difference this time was that I was old enough to seek answers for myself now, and I didn’t like the answers I found.

I began to understand that many of the human-animal relationships that exist in our world today are highly flawed. Factory farming, bear bile farming, puppy mills, poaching of wild animals for exotic dishes, pets or entertainment, these examples would arguably be okay if the following assumption held true: “Animals are inanimate objects devoid of any cognitive function.”

This isn’t the case at all. Animals, no matter what species or degree of cognitive function, may have feelings or at least an important role to play in this world. Over many years, with the ability of language and technology, humans have managed to engineer a world of our own. We think we have managed to isolate ourselves from the natural world, and we take everything from the environment for our self-benefit and call it our own. I think that it is pure arrogance as a human race, to think that we are different from other animals, and we can extract and exploit them as we wish. I find it ironic that the word “humane” is used to refer to a positive manner of treatment for an animal or person, when it was man that caused most of the negativity in the first place.

I have joined a small group of people who believe in a world that does not just include humans, but animals and the environment as well. I do not wish to impose my ideas on people, but I aim to raise awareness about this wider worldview so that they may make their own decisions.

Right now, my work focuses on giving animals a better life. I aim to contribute to a world where animals are not exploited, but treated with respect and hopefully one day, they will not be victims of our human arrogance.

We destroy what we do not understand, or simply what we do not appreciate. I urge everyone to at least start small. Try observing the next animal you meet a little longer than intended. Think about how or why animals behave the way they are in the wild, in a zoo, or on the screen. You may just be pleasantly surprised at what you might discover.
---


"The Action Collective" features six guests involved in humanitarian and environmental work. Next Wednesday, we'll have Peace Chiu.

No comments:

Post a Comment