Sunday, April 26, 2009

2nd Gospel Coalition Conference

Spent a week in Chicago attending this conference. And I feel very, very encouraged and inspired after listening to the various speakers, speaking as a fellow pastor and student of the Bible to the many pastors and seminary students. John Piper never fails to remind me that emotions is a necessary component in spiritual growth. I used to have a particularly problematic view of emotions: emotionalism and legalistic obedience to be exact, alternating between either. But Piper has helped me reconcile the affective outbursts of the Psalmists, the Minor Prophets, Peter, Paul, John...it seems to permeate so much through each book: literally or metaphysically. He applies this to preachers and teachers as well, that whoever finds God's Word boring and sermon/teaching notes a chore "should quit". Rightly so, I believe - because the Word's ability to inspire, admonish and encourage is ignored. The Inspiration is obliterated from view.

Don Carson enhances this view by encouraging believers to not divorce the devotional and objective aspects of the Word, ie: our devotional reading of God's Word can be accompanied by studying it (as opposed to academical-izing study, making it a killjoy). He exhorts us to think, even during recreational or devotional reading, because much joy comes from knowledge. Tim Keller reminds me that the Great Commandment greatly values knowledge (funny how there is no mention of our emotional capacity).

John Piper's challenge is...challenging: to read less books (!!!) and annotate, mull, digest, reflect. On the other hand, I got so many free books from the conference! I would have got TEN more if I had signed up for the Band of Bloggers Conference, but I guess it's good I didn't - had trouble packing and lugging the books (and the complimentary ESV Study Bible) around.

I wish I hadn't fall asleep during some sermons, but even my falling asleep this time round exposed me of my prejudices and immaturity. God, thank you so much for showing me my pride! I also enjoyed meeting and/or talking to Levy, Billy, Nathan, Jenkins, Gary, Kyle and others on the plane and during breaks. I give ten thumbs up for this experience because of the Holy Spirit's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment