Wednesday, April 1, 2009

DiaS'pura and Philly


Revisiting Philly was great. It felt like savouring a lovely cup of crème brûlée nuanced with many layers of flavours - bittersweet with cocoa, XO durian and wine, rich like Naked Chocolate Cafe, and intoxicating like sundubu. Not to mention speaking Singlish, meeting up with Singaporeans (great comfort for any of the 5 Singaporean students now in UofA) and talking about things close to heart.

I really liked Sing City! 2 and the whole idea of DiaS'pura. Li-Anne Huang, Mirabelle Ang, Boo Junfeng, Mr Brown and Eva Tang. Of course, very impressed with Josh's super-proficiency in Singlish, and thankful and proud of Caleb, whose compositions fed my ears with a palate of different styles. Also, I finally saw Debs, whom I missed in California, with her friends of confused nationalities: Singaporean in Melbourne on exchange to Berkeley + Korean New Zealander who spoke Debs-influenced Singlish.

I think Josh has revived "cockanaden", though I've yet to see how I can use that in my vocabulary.

I spent a lot of time with Jon (Ong), Zhi Wei and Limmy since we were all bunking over together over the weekend. Talked a lot of nonsense, caught up with each other and made fun of each other. A generally hilarious bunch of people, except at 3am when people did homework or got attacked by the Dizzy Monster.

I speak as someone who stayed there only for a really short time, but it was generally a very comfortable feeling to be in Philly again. Walking about in Penn, around University City, past the Schuykill River into the city, and into Tenth and Rittenhouse Square. Washing dishes, laying on the couch, doing homework on the desk...even the feel of the carpet felt comfortable.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPENCER!

On another note, I'm on to my seventeenth verse (Ephesians 2:8-9) on Jon's Topical Memory System. My favourite verse so far is still the very first one.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

My trip to Philly was well worth it. I'm contented :) Looking forward to staying there in summer again after the semester.


Noodle Blues from Sing City! 2, on www.mrbrown.com

No comments:

Post a Comment