Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recent occupations

Okay, my lull from work has ended. Thankfully and surprisingly, I think I'm going to enjoy the rest of the workload that I've to complete for this year.

I've one last essay to write (okay, on top of three tests and a play presentation). It's 50% of the grade, yes, but I'm very, very thankful most of my major assignments have been cleared up about three weeks ago. This means I'd have more time to prepare for applications for my semester abroad at the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. That were some hiccups here and there for my application to U of A, and sometimes they really do seem quite daunting. But as Caleb says, I shouldn't let these matters trouble and make me lose sight of this wonderful opportunity. In other words, thankfulness is what will keep things in perspective - God gives grace through each glitch so that I may come out of it with a heart of gratitude and joy.

Also, I have two more issues of kids' devotionals to complete for this year. On hindsight, this opportunity to serve God outside the music ministry has been refreshing. I remember the first concern my elder had was my age, which can be an indicator of my level of spiritual maturity. So I have been kept a tab on since my first attempt at writing part of the devotional for primary school kids in my church. I'm thankful for humility, to be willing to learn and also, to be corrected for my awkward Mandarin phrases and wrong words (ha). It can get challenging sometimes because of the tension between educating these young minds as much as possible and making the truth accessible to them. I've learnt that the Holy Spirit gives wisdom for discernment, and faith that God will open these minds to richer truths in His time.

Lastly, there's the Advent concert! Preparations are well under way and I'm excited about the music. (Also, this means spending more time to practise during the week). This repertoire includes some of our classic Christmas carols, such as Noel Nouvelet, Have Yourself A Merry Christmas and Mrs Wilson's arrangement of O Come, O Come Emmanuel, alongside new pieces such as Javier Busto's Te Lucis Ante Terminum, Ola Gjeilo's Unto Us A Child Is Born and Gunnar Ericksson's Den blida vår är inne. This concert will be on December 6, 2008 (Sat) at the Singapore Art Museum, but it's by invitation only heh. Excited about singing beautiful music again!


The Anglo-Chinese Junior College Alumni Choir
National Day 2008 at Singapore Art Museum


Lastly, I'm also very excited about my semester abroad! Can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. i've never been for the christmas performances. hopefully, i'll be able to get back before the 6th :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi hi,

    hmm... is it possible for me to get an invite to the Advent concert? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no, so sorry whoever's post got deleted. I have no idea how it got deleted (unless it's spam).

    Ollie: I'll get back to you about it! :)

    ReplyDelete