Sunday, October 28, 2007

Martyred For Me

Today we commemorated the Reformation and I watched the biography of John Huss. John Huss was learned and he, like Martin Luther, had the blessed privilege to read the Bible. In realising the error of Catholic penance, he voluntarily went to Germany to clarify his stand to the religious council, only to be imprisoned and eventually burnt on the stake in 1415, two centuries before Reformation really took off. Even till death, he never got to explain his stand because the council refused to let him, slamming him as a man of the Anti-Christ. in the court in of the public, he was cursed by the archbishop to be sent to hell and had to wear a phony paper crown that literally labelled him as a heretic. On the stake, he died singing an old, old hymn: 'Jesus, the son of David, save me from sin'...

The film left me greatly stricken with shame and thankfulness. John Huss was only one of the many martyrs who laid down their blood on the path of hope for greater salvation for me. These forefathers sacrificed themselves and trusted in God's promise for something more beautiful, like how Abraham, Noah and many others lived on faith in Hebrews 11. Back then, every single copy of the English Bible was so greatly treasured, because the translators risked their lives and safety to write it. Yet, I have not treasured my Bible, God's Word, as much as I want to. And Huss died singing, what a way to offer a last sweetsmelling sacrifice to God! amidst the many mixed feelings which i believed he had, God gave him His song to sing to a fitting comfort for his soul. These prosecuted Christians shone strongly in the dark world. I have religious freedom, and i feel all the more ashamed that I'm not taking advantage of it to live and preach Christ more. And to preach Christ is to live His Word. How could I live His Word if I do not pay attention to it on Sunday mornings, because of late Saturday nights spent idling? Huss, like Christ, died so that I may live a new life, but sometimes my old self pulls me back from living a life showing God's glory.

God has so entrusted in us the treasure of salvation. We are, and I am, but earthen vessels, as Paul says in II Corinthians 4 - cheap, dispensable individuals that are so fragile. Yet, it is because we are weak, that God's strength and wisdom may be manifested. God's grace is the informidable lacquer, so that we may be hard pressed but never crushed. through this, we become very valuable vessels worthy for good use instead. where God breaks the vessels of martyrs like John Huss, the treasure that is contained within is exposed, and shines all the more brightly to the world. I am but a jar of clay, but I am a child of God. How wonderful can this be?

O Lord, you know that I am weak, so I ask for your strength and grace, so that I may be a loyal steward of your gospel. Let me not put out the Holy Spirit's fire and help me live my faith for your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment