Monday, December 18, 2006

Give Me Oil in My Lamp

Give me oil in my lamp
Keep me burning,
Give me oil in my lamp
I pray, (I pray)
Give my oil in my lamp
Keep me burning,
Keep my burning till the break of day.

Sing 'Hosanna'
Sing 'Hosanna'
Sing 'Hosanna' to the King of Kings

Sing 'Hosanna'
Sing 'Hosanna'
Sing 'Hosanna' to the King of Kings!

I never realised that this kiddy kiddy song would have such a profound meaning now that I'm older. We used to chant the chorus and sing it loudly with gusto, not really understanding what it's about. I suppose I should really check up the passage and the references to the parable of the virgins and the lamp waiting for the bridegroom, but tis getting late. =)

How we need Him to give us oil in our lamps and keep us burning! The metaphor of the lamp functions on a few different levels, I expect.

On one hand, lamps provide a source of illumination and light in order for one to see-- it serves a self-serving purpose of facilitating vision. Without light, the person holding the lamp wouldn't know where he's putting his foot, and it probably wouldn't make a difference since he would only be tripping and stumbling all over the shop. Psalm 119: 9,11 says "How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word... I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You."

Secondly, light from a lamp provides light for others, and works as a means of illuminating someone else's path. A passerby may not have a light of their own, but because of your light, they may see clearer and thus journey safer. Lights from lamp serve the purpose of illuminating the pathways of others. This is what Jesus meant when He said, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden," in Matthew.

Thirdly, light from a lamp provides a means of being spotted from a distance by a distant traveller, and functions as a beacon similar to a lighthouse. Because of our light, we are able to mark our identification and association with the traveller, and one day when He arrives, He'll know that we are His if our light is burning for HIm to recognise us. Christ talked about the tragedy of coming to Him when HE comes again, and saying, "Lord, Lord," but He will say to them, "Depart from me! I never knew you!" Let us not be one of them whose lights grew dim-- our lamps should always burn brightly for Christ.

Let us pray that our lights will keep burning, for Him. Even as we were called out of darkness to be a people of light, we who once wondered in shadows and night have seen a great light, and our eyes are now transfixed and living in the glory of that same wonderful illumination. And today, we ask GOd, who gives all good things, to keep our lamps burning with the oil that He provides-- may He give us what we need to burn for Him and His glory. Hosanna, My God Saves!'

Courtesy of Caleb : )

No comments:

Post a Comment